What would you do if you need to copy large data file to Azure for processing from location that doesn’t provide high Internet bandwidth & when you need to upload large data files into Azure. Microsoft has launched Azure Import/Export Service that can be used as Data Ingestion method into Azure apart from other solutions.
Azure Data Ingestion methods –
- Azure Storage Explorer
- Azure Data Factory
- Azure Databox
- Azure Import/Export
This article focuses on Azure Import/Export service.
Points to be noted on Azure Import/Export service
- Supported drives are – SSD 2.5″, HDD – 2.5″ & 3.5″ – SATA II, SATA III
- Import (into Azure) Job supports – Azure Block Blob, Page Blob & Azure Files
- Export (from Azure) Jon supports – Azure Block Blob & Page Blob. Azure Files is not supported.
Import (into Azure) Job
- Download WAImportExport Job tool
- Since I will importing into Blob storage I have downloaded WAImportExportV1
- Now prepare your storage account. You will need to supply its access key to prepare the journal
- Now insert the drive with content & secure it with bitlocker & get the bitlocker password
- Once the bitlocker password is retrieved, we now need to run the WAImportExport V1 tool to create the journal file.
- In the above command – /j – specifies journal file name that will be used in the Azure Import Job, /id: is the unique number for the import session, /sk: is the storage account access key, /t is the target drive, /bk: is the bitlocker key that we copied above,
- We now need to create Import Job. Login to Azure Portal – https://portal.azure.com , search for Azure Import/Export Jobs, and create an Import Job as shown below
- In next step, upload the journal file that contains the information about the drive that is already encrypted using the Bitlocker & once done you would see the Drive ID. Also select the Import destination so that when Microsoft received the disk then they will import the content into this storage account
- In this screen, we need to fill information of the supported carrier that will take the drive back after Import is successful. You will need to supply your account number so that charges are directly paid by you.
- Once you finish, click on OK to submit the request
- Once you submit the request on the portal. Send the drive to Microsoft and based on the journal file they will know where to import the content and send the drive back to.
Once the job is created – you need to update the Carrier name and Tracking number within 2 weeks for Microsoft to track