How to change Azure AD MFA authentication type?
Azure AD supports login to Platform using Multi-Factor Authentication or two-factor authentication system.
What is MFA?
MFA allows user to login to Azure system using a password and a trusted device. The trusted device can authenticate via –
- Call to your registered mobile number
- Call to Office Desk
- Call to alternate mobile number
- Text Message to registered mobile number
- Authenticate via Microsoft Authenticator App
On most occasions I am okay with getting the text message on my Phone but it becomes problem when I travel or have problem with my Telecom operator. Below are the steps to configure / default your MFA option –
1. Login to https://myapps.microsoft.com with your Azure AD Login ID, Password + current MFA.
a. Please ensure that your Administrator has enabled MFA on your account.
2. Click on your name in top-right corner and Select Profile
3. Now click on Additional Security Verification
3. On this screen, please key in the desired options details. I have entered the Authentication Phone and configured my Authenticator App on my mobile phone.
4. I have also selected preferred option as “verification code from App”
The settings here can be used to configure your Multi-factor authentication options and change your preference.
How to configure Authenticator App –
- On your smart-phone download “Microsoft Authenticator App”
- Once done, click on “Configure” as shown on the screen above
- Either Scan the QR code to manually enter the code that is listed on the myapps.microsoft.com portal
- Continue with rest of the process to successfully configure your Microsoft Authenticator Application
Hope this was useful